DIY: Earrings Old to New

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

I'm not a fan of gold jewelry (real or otherwise). My accessories case is filled with silver toned jewelry. I also love hoop earrings. I bought a few gold toned hoop earrings and over time some of them developed a rusted color- this usually happens to gold and silver toned accessories. I was about to throw them out when I found the solution to it.

All you need is:
  • A nail polish color similar to the gold toned earrings. 
  • Top coat (optional)
Here are two pairs of hoop earrings. The top one as you can see is in it's original color and the bottom smaller ones are the ones that went to rusty town. See the color comparison? The bottom ones are almost like a burnt copper/bronze.



The nail polish I used is from Prestige Cosmetics and the name is Caramel. The color is almost identical to the original color of the earrings.



The next step is to coat the bronzed earrings with the nail polish.



Bronzed vs. nail polished: see the difference?


Here's the finished product. Looks just like new. You can coat them with a top coat but I didn't. The 'reconstructed' earrings obviously do not have the same shine as that of the original earrings because of the polish used but you may get the effect by using a gold metallic polish.


You can do the same with silver toned earrings as well- or just use another color on hoop earrings such as teal or a neon orange.

Post a Comment