Fortnum & Mason's Savoury Afternoon Tea In Dubai

Sunday, December 21, 2014

One of my favorite places in the city, Fortnum & Mason located in Downtown Dubai added a new item to their glorious menu- the Savoury Afternoon Tea. I prefer tea over coffee any day- I cannot recall the last time I've consumed coffee. And I take my tea seriously, just as you do your coffee. The idea of high tea has always captured my interest and when I was made aware of the new version at Fortnum's, I had to try it!

Fortnum's instantly takes me back to London and the Dubai branch has done an incredible job of capturing the essence of the British store (take a look at the Piccadilly store pictures and you'll know what I mean). As always, my experience at this little piece of London in Dubai was nothing short of praise.


With the trademark palette of soft mint, white and gold against almost everything including crockery along with blatant classical era music filling the atmosphere, the Tea Salon almost makes you feel like you are spending your time in one of the areas of the Queen's palace. Did you know that Fortnum & Mason have a royal connection?

Much like the traditional high tea, the new inclusion features savoury bites such as the Victoria Lobster Omlette, Crab Souffle, Butternut Squash Risotto, finger sandwiches, scones and several more to delight one's taste buds.


While you have a plethora of tea to choose from, I opted for the Jasmine Pearl tea and I was pleasantly surprised. The tea exuded a delicate aroma and flavor supported with a faint copper colored liquor. For those who are unaware, the word liquor is a reference to the liquid that appears post brewing the tea. The Jasmine Pearl tea was so good, that I had 3 cups of it- yes, I did.

The savoury afternoon tea is presented in 3 layers- the first being the savoury bites followed by the delicious scones served with flavored butter and finger sandwiches. Similarly, the high tea featured finger sandwiches, fruit scones and a selection of desserts.


The savoury bites were the stars of the afternoon- delicious and flavorsome. Mom particularly liked the Salmon Blinis and I absolutely loved the succulent chicken with baked potatoes and asparagus. The chicken dish was specially made for me since I asked to replace the original seafood offering. Many thanks to Fortnum's for honoring my request without hesitation.


From the smoked salmon to the coronation chicken sandwich, the assortment of finger sandwiches were fresh and delightful.

The plain scones were served with chive and raisin butter, while the other set was served with clotted cream, raspberry and wild blueberry preserve. I can only use one word to describe them, mouthwatering- soft, crumbly, airy...made to perfection. They are easily the best scones I've had. There's a particular one you must try- the Walnut scone. That was delicious especially with the raisin butter.

The grand finale was a selection of desserts. These bite sized treats were irresistible. The slice of cake featured carefully crafted layers of  dark chocolate fudge cake as the base followed by a generous layer of chocolate mousse and finished with coffee glaze. It was fresh, moist and comforting. 


The macarons were a whole new world. I say it because I love macarons. Ask my friends and they will roll their eyes because I talk about my love for macarons way too much. I'm always on the lookout for the best macarons. The dark chocolate macaron at Fortnum's was nothing like I've had before- sinfully decadent. With a rich chocolate ganache center, the shell of the macaron was perfectly crisp and the filling had an exceptional soft texture. 

The hospitality at Fortnum & Mason is incredible and so is the atmosphere. You get the option to dine inside or outside overlooking the fantastic Dubai Mall's fountain. The staff are well-versed, attentive and offer some excellent suggestions. 

I was taken on a gastronomic adventure which certainly left me pleased. I've had high tea at several other places in Dubai but none come remotely close to Fortnum's. They also have a gluten-free menu which should make people content as locating food that is void of gluten can be a hassle. 

If you are looking for a different culinary experience, I strongly recommend you try Fortnum & Mason's savoury afternoon tea or the high tea- it won't leave you disappointed. Reservation is mandatory.

Fortnum & Mason is located in Downton Dubai, between Dubai Mall and The Address Hotel.


Fortnum & Mason Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Post a Comment