Beach Essentials for Dubai's Summer

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Tuesday this week, my cousin who lives in Milan, Italy messaged me with a rather interesting message.

"I'm cominnnnggg to Dubaaaai!"

It was pretty cool as we started to quickly message each other with what needs to be added and or excluded on her itinerary. And then she threw in something I'm not a fan of: "I also want to spend my mornings on the beach...". There was a mention of brunch (I love those, by the way) but everything she said post the beach message made me frown. 

I'm not a fan of beaches or the harsh sun. I love lounging at resorts that boast of pristine blue water swimming pools but I definitely prefer a shaded one. I grudgingly agreed to my cousin's beach request but not before telling her to bring a beach umbrella (not sure how she plans on getting that!). My beach essentials are pretty much full-blown protection, from sunscreens to hats and everything in between. My skin burns easily and I don't look forward to burnt skin and the corresponding peeling that accompanies it. So, I whipped up my beach essentials. 


Dubai's summer is unforgiving (heck, the entire country goes through the same) and if you are out frolicking in the sun without protection, then prepare to face some damage. We all know about harmful effects of UV rays, so I'm not going to go into all that jazz. 

I take extra precautions when choosing my sunscreen. Although an SPF of 30 is recommended, I am happy with Bioderma's Photoderm MAX sunscreen that provides a SPF of 100. It has a lotion-like consistency and a non-greasy finish. 

A pair of flip flops is an essential beachwear. I was introduced to this brand of late, and I'm quite impressed by how light-weight they are! I'm using to chunky flip flops (made of rubber); the ones from Waves aren't rigid. In addition to this, they've got funky designs as well. I love this polka dot version. The brand originates from Sri Lanka, also known as the Pearl of the Indian Ocean, The USP of the brand is that they use rubber that goes through a process of harvesting, treating and crafting. Hence, the light-weight effect! While they have a plethora of colors and designs to choose from, red and black and two of my favorite colors, so this polka dotted version is pretty cool for me!

Labello, everybody's favorite lip balm brand recently launched the neon version of their classic balms. No, the lips don't light up in neon colors but the tubes do glow under UV light. It's such a retro feel and this blue neon version is a must-have, not only for beach days but everyday. I apply this right before I glide on my matte lipsticks. The neon versions are no different than the classic ones- they are fragrance free, void of any coloring and keep the lips moisturized throughout the day. 

I love Molton Brown. They have a special place in my heart. The English brand that can do no wrong in my books always has an arsenal of body lotions, shower gels, fragrances, hand creams among others. I love leather (be it in clothes or fragrances), so when I spotted the combination of Patchouli, Saffron and leather in this body lotion, I had a "Shut up and take my money" moment. I bought this without trying it on (no exaggeration!) as I was in a hurry to leave the mall. I knew I was taking a gamble but I thank my lucky stars that this lotion has an incredible fragrance and does the hydration job well. 

Of course a wide-brimmed hat, my trusty Prada sunglasses (reserved only for special occasions because I don't want to lose them) and my favorite Sherlock book are part of my beach essentials arsenal. 

So my Italian cousin, I await your arrival. Bring me the classic almond biscotti and I'll take you to the beach!

Post a Comment