Movie review: The Adventures of Tintin

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Peter Jackson, James Cameron, Ridley Scott and Steven Spielberg.

These are a few of my favorite directors (and producers in some cases). Remember Peter Jackson's Lord of The Rings trilogy? He brought to life the characters from a book that was written years ago by Tolkien. He literally infused life into Tolkien's vision and fired up the big screen. The LOTR trilogy is my favorite after Munich, Identity, The Others and Ronin. And who can forget Steven Spielberg? I was a kid when I first heard about the ever so famous Jaws but the movie that really drilled Spielberg's name and accomplishments in my head was Jurassic Park. Who else created a movie that featured dinosaurs ripping people into shreds and wrecking havoc? It was my first Spielberg movie that I watched in a theatre and was spellbound.

Image credits: Screenrant.com
So when I heard Jackson and Spielberg were teaming up to create a movie all about Tintin, I could not wait! I remember watching Tintin on TV and even reading books on him, his faithful dog and Captain Haddock! So put together the two heavyweights of Hollywood and one of my favorite comic book characters, what do you get? A great movie! I attended the premiere of the movie in Dubai and reacted the same way as I did when I saw Jurassic Park- I was spellbound.

Image credits: IMDB.com
Tintin is on a mission to uncover the mystery of The Unicorn (t's not the fabled creature) and we are thrust into a world of ships, pirates, clues, car chases, villains and a funny captain who just wants to drink forever. You're taken on an adventurous journey with Tintin as he tries to put together the pieces of the puzzle, come face to face with disappointment only to get a firm grasp on things once again and finally succeed.

Jackson and Spielberg have done such an excellent job on this project. They maintained the true spirit of Tintin and ensured the classic bits were present such as the two oblivious detective twins Thompson and Thompson and Tintin or other characters being hit on the head (I got a flashback to when I was a kid when I saw this happen).

I'm impressed as to how all elements in the animated movie come full circle- but then again, that's what you can expect from a Spielberg/ Jackson movie! I'm so glad I wasn't disappointed with the storyline. The movie has it's share of comedy and thrills, great animation; when it ended, I was left wanting for more. And when that happens, I know it's a good movie.

 Rating: 4/5
Go watch it!

Post a Comment